If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (602) 341-6737

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO Tips On Electrical Fire Prevention in Scottsdale

2/5/2021 (Permalink)

Power cord is on fire while plugged into outlet. SERVPRO of Paradise Valley wants you to remember these tips to prevent electric fires: Do not overload wall outlets. Insert plugs fully into sockets.

The following information was reported by the U.S. Fire Administration.

Between 2014-2016 an estimated 24,000 residential building electrical fires were reported by the U.S. fire departments annually. Electrical fires have the potential to spread farther and cause more damage and injuries. In addition, electrical fires can be particularly problematic to extinguish. Using water to put out the fire can cause electrocution unless power is reliably disconnected.

Electrical Fire Safety

To help keep your home fire safe, make sure all electrical work in your home is done by a qualified electrician and follow these electrical safety tips:

Appliances:

Always plug appliances, such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers, directly into a wall outlet.

Never use an extension cord with a major appliance — it can easily overheat and start a fire.

Always plug small appliances directly into a wall outlet.

Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.

Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.

Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.

Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them.

Outlets:

Do not overload wall outlets.

Insert plugs fully into sockets.

Never force a three-prong cord into a two-slot outlet.

Install tamper-resistant electrical outlets if you have young children.

Extension cords, power strips and surge protectors:

Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away.

Use extension cords for temporary purposes only.  

Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.

Do not overload power strips.

Use power strips that have internal overload protection.

For additional electrical home fire prevention tips and information, please visit the USFA’s electrical fire safety outreach materials webpage at https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/electrical.html

You can also find information on home electrical safety and workplace electrical safety, as well as resources to educate communities, at the Electrical Safety Foundation International, www.esfi.org.

SERVPRO of Paradise Valley wants everyone to stay as safe as possible. If you experience any fire damage, our team can help restore your home. Give us a call at (602) 341-6737

Other News

View Recent Posts