Maintaining Infectious Disease Control In Scottsdale With SERVPRO
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO MAINTAIN INFECTIOUS DISEASE CONTROL IN YOUR WORKPLACE
The entire world is currently battling a global pandemic, and while it is mostly down to the individual to protect himself by practicing social distancing and following quarantine procedures, employers have a big responsibility in ensuring that their workspace remains safe amidst the crisis.
What is infectious disease control, anyway? According to the World Health Organization, infection prevention and control, also known as IPC, is a method of cleaning and minimizing the spread of contagious disease.
Now you might be wondering, how is infection spread? A quite common way for a contagious disease to spread, especially one that’s caused by a virus, is by cross-contamination through expelled bodily fluids such as the respiratory droplets we release when we cough or sneeze.
You can see now how fast an infection can spread especially in crowded places like a busy office space. That is why infection control is critical in keeping your workspace a safe and healthy environment.
Please see below for workplace infection control procedures:
- Plan Accordingly – The first thing you should do is come up with an infection control plan. Involve your management team since they will be the ones working more closely with your employees and enforce your established workplace policies and procedures for infection control.
- Remove Common-Use Items – In relation to the previous tip, an infection can also spread by touching items that have been contaminated by other people. Hence, remove common-use items such as magazines and pens from your common rooms.
- Encourage Basic Etiquette – Another way of preventing the spread of infection is to encourage your employees to practice the basic etiquette of covering their mouths when they cough or sneeze by providing boxes of tissues and disinfectant wipes especially in common rooms where they interact with more people. At the same time, discourage them from sharing personal items like cups, glasses, and cutleries where they can easily transfer their respiratory droplets to others.
- Basic Sanitation – The way to prevent the spread of infection is to provide ways for your employees to rid themselves of germs by putting clean handwashing facilities and sanitation stations equipped with alcohol or alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Basic Health Checks - Everyone must have their temperature checked before entering your facility. Anyone who is not feeling well, or doesn’t look well should be immediately sent home or to a health care facility depending on his state. Brownie points if you can provide your employees with vitamin supplements as well in order to strengthen their immune system.
- Work Remotely – But, in the end, the most effective way to control the spread of infectious disease is to still let them all go home and simply let them work from there. If you really must require the attendance of a skeletal workforce to continue operations, then at least provide them with a mode of transportation instead of forcing them to take public transit where they’ll be exposed to other people that might be infected already.
If your employees are working from home, this gives you the opportunity to clean your work facility and disinfect it so that it’s clean and ready to receive your employees once regular operations resume. There are two ways to go about this and that’s when SERVPRO of Paradise Valley comes in!
- Handle it yourself – First, you can let your existing maintenance staff perform the virus cleaning given that you’ll provide them with the necessary personal protective equipment and tools. You should focus on cleaning surfaces that have been the most exposed to contamination such as doorknobs, stair railings, elevator buttons, and the like.
- Seek professional help – Or second, you can seek the help of professional cleaning services equipped with handling infectious disease control instead. This is honestly what we recommend, especially for workplaces like hospitals and health care facilities that are significantly more exposed to diseases, contagious or not.
We are offering a professional viral pathogen cleaning service called Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program that goes beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning, it’s a higher standard of clean. This is proactive viral pathogen cleaning that helps ensure the cleanliness of the restaurants, businesses and public spaces in the communities we all call home. Our SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills - always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
Lastly, why is all of this so important? Because employees and customers now have heightened concern for their healthy and safety. 89% of consumers are uneasy about going back to brick-and-mortar locations*.
By keeping the tips we shared with you in mind, we are confident that you will be able to keep your employees safe from the novel coronavirus and other infectious diseases. Stay healthy and keep being safe!
And remember, if your business needs cleaning services then call SERVPRO of Paradise Valley today! Operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For more information on maintaining infectious disease control in your workplace, please visit –
- (*The Harris Poll conducted online on behalf of Fast, between April 28 and April 30, 2020. About 2,048 U.S. adults aged 18 or older participated.) https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/350922/89-of-consumers-concerned-about-returning-to-bric.html
Follow us on social media for more tips on various topics!